07 October 2008

Run, run as fast as you can!

Sunday 5th October was not only Nico's birthday, but also the day we had been training for: the run in Breda, or as the locals call it, de Bredase Singelloop. There was a choice between a 5k, 10k, 15k or half marathon. We went for the 10k.

We woke up to lots of wind and light but cold rain and after a quick cycle to the station and an hour train ride later, it was still cold and rainy. Our good friends Jessica and Geert gave us a safety pin and 2 earrings to attach our numbers (we're not that organised, you know) and we were off to run on the mostly cobblestone, puddle-filled streets of Breda.





After 57.24 minutes Nico crossed the finish line and I came in at 67.50. We were both happy with the times but the next day our legs felt as if they hadn't really spent the last few months training 2-3 times a week!

Although no one carried me back to Jessica and Geert's place, I somehow made it there and up their stairs of death in one piece. After a hot, hot shower we filled up on food and liquid and I think I may have snoozed on the couch as the Wii monsters started eating people. When I woke up it was just in time for more food and drinks - how convenient!

So now it's Tuesday and my legs are just a little bit sore, but that may also be thanks to running into the corner of the bed yesterday which has left me with a bruise and long, thin graze from my knee to my shin. Nice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooo, wow, I'm impressed. I'm always amazed how non-runners can become runners. I'm SUCH a non-runner. Way to go!!

Roxanne said...

Nice one kids...maybe we can all compete in next years City to Surf in Sydney town? What's an extra 4km's...

patricia quinton said...

An extra 4km's plus "heartbreak hill"!!