15 September 2006

Succes!!

No, I haven't forgotten the last 's'...it's the Dutch spelling and it means 'good luck'. And that's what I'm wishing myself as I embark on another Dutch course!

For about 3 weeks in August I did an 'Intensieve zomercursus' in Amsterdam. It was a small class with all really good people from Afghanistan, the UK, Brazil, Russia, Nigeria, Egypt, Finland...and me. We studied about 4 hours a day that extended into five thanks to all the coffee breaks we took. I got to know the city with some of my classmates but did I get to know a lot of the Dutch language?

Well, yes and no.

There was a huge concentration on grammar and anyone who knew me throughout my DELTA course will know that I am a fan of Michael Lewis and anyone who knows of Michael Lewis will know that being pounded with grammar is not the way to learn a foreign language! And it was good to know that my belief in the 'chunks' and the 'lexicalised grammar' of language is the right one!! But enough...that will only be of remote interest to very few (if any) people.

What was my point?

Did I learn much Dutch? Well...I learnt what felt like a lot of grammar rules but didn't have enough practise with the language. So by the end of the course I had lots of pieces of paper but I still couldn't really say much to anyone!

So I found a Dutch course here in Eindhoven at the university. My class consists of PhD students...and me. I've only been to one class and although this class is bigger I had more chances to use the little Dutch I know in those 2 hours than I did in 2 days of classes in Amsterdam.

It got off to a great start!

I also found a group of foreigners...now, I don't usually seek out organised groups, but desperate times...

If you've read my first post you know that I can't work yet...and although I thought I'd enjoy being a lady of leisure, I don't really like that it's an enforced lady of leisure that I am being. Kind of like an enforced exile...it's not as fun as an exile by choice.

Anyway, this group organises, among other things, a Dutch practice group at a local cafe/bar. I went along on Tuesday to check it out. There were 8 people there...American, Portuguese, British...and me. There was also the Dutch husband of the organiser who acts as a dictionary, lucky fella. The theme of the week was 'games' and to be honest, I'm not much of a board games kind of girl so I had my doubts...but, it was really good! We spoke a lot of Dutch and it was really refreshing to go out with a bunch of new people.

Count me in for the next one!

So before you know it, I'll be speaking like a Dutchie.

Ha!

Succes!!

No comments: