07 September 2006

R is for Red Tape

"Report to the foreign police within 2 days of arriving in the Netherlands."

Not too difficult. I thought I'd go there, they'd put a nice little sticker in my passport and then I'd be off to register at the city hall and get a So-Fi (Tax) number.

"We don't deal with your kind of visa anymore", said the Barbie in a police uniform at the front desk. "Call the IND. Here's the number."

OK. There's always been red tape in the other countries I've lived in so this was no different.

I went home and called the IND...the Immigration and Naturalisation Dept...though on a Working Holiday visa I want to be neither 'immigrated' nor 'naturalised'.

"Go to the foreign police in the place you're staying," said the voice at the other end of the line. That was after spending a few minutes explaining my situation.

"No, they told me to call you, as I just explained."

"Oh, wait a minute."

The line beeped at me for about 2 minutes (BTW, what is it with Govt. Depts, premium rate numbers and putting you on hold???). A lady answered and of course I had to re-tell my tale all over again.

"Go to the city hall."

"OK."

Today I went to the city hall. No problem. They know about Working Holiday visas and what we all have to do. Their part involves taking a copy of my passport and giving me an appointment...on the 25th September!! My part involves filling in a a bigger than your average Dutch sized mountain of paperwork. And wait. I can't get a So-Fi number (which equals being able to work) until after that appointment.

On a brighter note...I was offered a teaching job today. Now I just have to let them know that it will be a little while before I can actually work!

I guess I'll get cracking with some self study Dutch!

Tot ziens!

No comments: