18 September 2006

Dutch 'circle' party

"Circle parties are a uniquely Dutch version of hell – which level, I’m not sure, but on the enjoyment scale they fit somewhere between doing your taxes and going to the dentist."
Kevin Lowe, http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=6&story_id=158

Not my words, as you can see!

But the Dutch circle party is a much talked about topic on any expat-in-the Netherlands website. Fabled though I thought they were, I actually attended one on Saturday night. And although I didn't find it like doing my taxes or going to the dentist, I did find it quite odd!

A 30th birthday party. Low key. Fine. But that everyone sits in a circle, starts off with a coffee or two and doesn't really move from their seats all night astounded me!

Maybe it was because during the two years I spent in London before coming to the Netherlands, the majority of parties I went to were held by mad Brazilians and sitting down for more than a few minutes was absolutely out of the question. Maybe I just got used to pints of caipirinhas and all night dancing and thought that all parties were really like that?

Although I enjoyed my initiation into this unique Dutch phenomenon, I think I might seek out some Brazilians while I'm here...

No comments: