29 October 2006

25 bottles of beer...

and a couple of bottles of wine.

It's been a weekend of eating and drinking with friends.

Friday night saw us going out with Jane and Edwin to celebrate that Jane and I are finally gainfully employed...at the same language school in Vught.




When I went to reserve the table for the evening I was ready with my Dutch sentence: Ik wil graag een tafel reserveren voor vanavond voor vier personen om half acht.

The guy at the restaurant stopped me halfway through in English.

I asked him if he would speak in Dutch: In Nederlands?

He quickly replied: I don't speak Dutch.

Me: Neither do I.

Him: I'll get a Dutch speaker for you!

Out comes another guy who speaks Dutch so I can reserve in Dutch!

We met at 7.30 and got the 4 person house special which included lots of yummy Indian delicacies.

Yum.

Then last night we had Patrick and Sam over for dinner. Patrick and Nico know each other from their university days. Sam is the American half of Patrick who speaks rocking Dutch and funny southern US English.

We spoke about grammar, Campina, separating milk, kosher milk, lexis and many other nerdy things while appreciating white wine, red wine and a few bottles of beer.

Feelin' the lurve, all y'all.


Would you marry any of them...or grammar?

OK, you had to be there.


The aftermath.

No comments: