26 January 2007

26th January

There are lots of different names for this day in Australia...Aboriginal Sovereignty Day, Australia Day, Invasion Day.

26th January means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

People hailing from 111 different countries officially become citizens of Australia today.

The Aboriginal Tent Embassy in Canberra holds a Sacred Fire Ceremonial Gathering and a Corroboree for Sovereignty.

1000s gather in locales around the country to Look Up and Smile.

Sydney enjoys the Big Day Out.

I sit inside on the other side of the world and wonder what I'm missing again.

So I plug my headphones into my laptop and listen to one of my favourite songs, From Little Things Big Things Grow, by two of my favourite artists, Kev Carmody and Paul Kelly.

http://www.aboriginaltentembassy.net/music/Paul_Kelly_and_Kev_Carmody_-_From_Little_Things_Big_Things_Grow.mp3

This beautiful song was written for Vincent Lingiari. To read more about him check out:

http://www.vibe.com.au/vibe/corporate/celebrity_vibe/showceleb.asp?id=372

No comments: