26 November 2006

Achel

That's the name of a quaint little town in Belgium that we rode to today.

Yes, we rode our bikes to Belgium today!

We left at about 11.30 this morning and got back about 6 this evening. The ride was about 70kms round trip. It was mostly through beautiful forests with the occasional 'fiets cafes' for all the cyclists and walkers.

Of course, as I hail from a big and borderless island, it's still exciting for me to cross into another country by car or on foot or by bike!

Ahhh...the novelty will never wear off, I'm sure!



That's me and my trusty steed just in Belgium.

And here's the border police...

In Achel there was a castle that had been built in the 12th century. Unfortunately they had renovated it a number of times since then which included painting and plastering over the original brickwork.

Close up you could see underneath some peeling paint and the original brickwork was beautiful.

I won't even tell you what we ate for lunch but think of about a metre of bread with a sausage, some onion and sauerkraut. Mmm!? Of course we started lunch with a yummy dark Belgian beer. Now that was gooooood!

On the way out of town we spotted a shop so we had to go in. What a great thing that this is what they sold...

You can't go to Belgium and not buy a few chocolates! So now I'm off to enjoy them with my tea.

No comments: